Re: [dev] [st] toggle font

From: Edgaras <devoas_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:23:21 +0300

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:28:33PM +0100, Nick wrote:
> Quoth Roberto E. Vargas Caballero:
> > I also need this feature, but maybe could be done in other way. I talked
> > about this with other persons of the list, and we liked let st be configured
> > using the stdin of st, so you can do it something like:
> >
> > configurator | st
> >
> > And, for example, you could use dmenu and select the font you want to use.
>
> Eugh. That isn't the way anything else is configured. It's a pretty
> weird interface. config.h, argv switches and potentially keybindings
> are reasonable ways to configure programs. stdin is just silly.

I wouldn't say that. I would say it depends very strongly on the application.
For example for quite some time I have an idea of general key-binder, something
like xbindkeys, except that it would not read any config files, but it would
read configuration from stdin. This would allow simple key rebinding while
application is already running without introducing inconsistent configuration
I want to say that stdin for configuration/commands/options for (maybe just
certain)gui applications can be a nice option (obviously for cli applications
that is not the case, because there stdin is main input for data).