Re: [dev] Troff for typsetting e-mails

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:41:58 -0400

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 09:52:16PM +0100, pancake wrote:
> Do you know ssg? Its a perl script that converts a markdown file into a postscript slides..

I already have typesetting software. ssg's existence doesn't make
markdown more useful, it just makes it slightly less useful than troff.

> Theres also an awk markdown parser to html and make it work on ansi is just plain simple (or output troff)

I already know html. troff can already output html.

> Markdown is human readable and easy to parse to generate various outputs, it just needs a tool for that.

Why do people keep saying something is human-readable as though I give a
shit? troff source is human-readable for the set of humans who
understand troff. Markdown is a pain in the ass because no two of these
tools produce the same output given the same input. It was originally
specified as a subset of html, and every time someone extends it they do
it in a different way. If I want to have to run programs on a text file
to produce another text file, I'll do one where I can predict the
outcome.