Re: [dev] Re: Migration to git

From: Sam Watkins <sam_AT_nipl.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:18:07 +1100

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 06:18:25PM +0100, pancake wrote:
> definitively, git sucks

I could have told you that! lol

Mercurial is obviously much, much cleaner and simpler than git.
There's a reason why the suckless / cat-v / bell / google guys are using it.
Oh, wait...

The basic git system is reasonably nice but there is a lot of cruft on top,
and it's very hacky. The git doc is difficult to read.

Mercurial is written in python rather than a hodgepodge of C, shell and
perl. This can only be a recommendation. Mercurial's interface is vastly
simpler and cleaner, and this is much more important than what language
it's written in.

By my idea of what sucks less, you should still be using (and fixing) darcs.
As I recall it has a better and simpler interface than mercurial.

In spite of the above, I am using git for all my projects! I find it's
very fast, efficient and functional, once you get to grips with all the
eccentricities. (unlike with darcs and hg, getting to grips with git will
certainly take several weeks or more).

Sam