Re: [dev] Starch has a web site

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 18:05:38 +0000

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Truls Becken <truls.becken_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> The installation guideline suggests using the Arch installer. That's fine, but
> I'd just like to mention that I always found it fascinating how you can install
> Arch by booting any Linux system you have at hand (an existing installation or
> some live cd), download a static build of pacman, mount the partition you want
> to install on, and simply run; ./pacman -S base -r /mnt

For the record it should be noted that Debian can be installed
similarly using the debootstrap sh or C program. Unfortunately,
debootstrap is distributed as a deb, which is a gzipped tarball inside
an ar. Whic is OK, unless you can't get hold of the ancient ar
extractor.
In short, static binaries are wonderful.