Re: [dev] [st] font fallback

From: <p37sitdu_AT_lavabit.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:23:12 +0400

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 04:20:11PM +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:
> So I just compared a little before the font code change and I couldn't
> really see a difference tbh.

You can see the difference when you copy and paste characters that are
not in your font. For example: "⊥" is not present in Terminus.

There is a problem I have: character is now displayed, but it is larger
than my font so there are some glithes. I think fallback code should
never use characters from fonts larger than current font size.

> I'm using static char font[] = "Terminus:file=ter-x16n.pcf.gz"; btw,
> which can't zoom but looks the best of all the things I've tried.

I have found better solution now: use font "Terminus:pixelsize=16:lang=af"
or choose some other language. This way you can zoom.

lang can be "be", "mo", "wo" and many other variants, they all trigger
"x" version of Terminus as you can check with fc-match.

Right solution would be to specify "charset", but I have not found how
to do it properly.