Re: [dev] [st] font fallback

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:05:00 +0100

Greetings.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:05:00 +0100 p37sitdu_AT_lavabit.com wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 04:20:11PM +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > So I just compared a little before the font code change and I couldn't
> > really see a difference tbh.
>
> You can see the difference when you copy and paste characters that are
> not in your font. For example: "⊥" is not present in Terminus.
>
> There is a problem I have: character is now displayed, but it is larger
> than my font so there are some glithes. I think fallback code should
> never use characters from fonts larger than current font size.

I’m working on the too big glyphs. This only appears when high‐detail
glyphs, like Japanese or Chinese are scaled down.

curl http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt

Try this in current st please. It works! :D

There is a new patch in st, which should speed the drawing back to nor‐
mal speed, when you are only using known characters from your font. It
will need some time, when you first access unknown characters.

I need some hints of people using many different Unicode subsets, if a
cache of 256 characters is enough.

I’m working on the bugs in the selection code related to wrong back re‐
porting of glyph widths.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann