Re: [dev] [st] libcaca output

From: Edgaras <devoas_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:53:50 +0200

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 08:22:15PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Greetings comrades,
>
> I have been trying to use my new fast shell lines to play videos over
> libcaca in st. I can’t seem to get libcaca to produce any working curses
> picture in xterm and st.
>
> My command:
>
> CACA_DRIVER=ncurses \
> quvi --exec "mplayer -vo caca %u" \
> "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTWokU7woo"
>
> You can watch the real caca output by removing the defintion of CA‐
> CA_DRIVER.
>
> This only produces flickering at certain frames. Sometimes the frames
> seem to be the real video content but then it all disappears. The same
> happens for xterm. Urxvt produces no output at all.
>
> Anyone got libcaca to work in this mode in some terminal?
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph Lohmann

I used local file, though also video that I got from youtube
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGp4D4uQp54), I used command:

        CACA_DRIVER=ncurses mplayer -vo caca mteden_daniel

Works in both st (not head/tip, though 0.3 from about a month ago) and xterm,
also surprisingly it seems it even is faster on st! Though I tried this on
quite small terminal windows. At first I tried xterm with full screen terminal
and it was insanely slow.

Terminal size I used: 31 lines 95 columns; There still of course is insane
flickering, but frame rate seems quite decent (on st), though it seems those
frequent refreshes of st window lag wm (dwm) quite a bit, cause while it is
playing dragging even other windows becomes noticeably slower; window dragging
has, what I would call, sliding on ice effect.