[dev] Re: suggestion

From: Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:42:34 +0100

Stuart Morrow <morrow.stuart_AT_googlemail.com> writes:

> You've all seen the "terminal-aware sam" on the website:
>
>> It has been suggested that “…a curses interface for the
>> sam protocol would be interesting and perhaps even useful…”
>
> I have a different suggestion, arguably better because it works as
> a frontend to ANY stdin/stdout program.
>
> You know the way when a terminal is in line mode, read calls don't
> receive anything until you hit enter? It's nice.
>
> And you know the way there's stuff (rlwrap) that simulates line mode
> by itself by setting the REAL tty to raw mode, but then intermediating
> reads between the tty your program, cooking the input while it does?
>
> My idea is to have something like rlwrap, but which runs full-screen, like
> vi, cursor addressing and whatnot, which can provide hold mode in addition
> to line mode. You run ed or sam -d in it, and you've basically got the nice-
> ness of those editors, which also having something similar to a screen editor
> on the terminal.

I think this will be a valuable tool that I wished for in many cases.
(It would be a kind of "ncurses 9term".)

However, for a "terminal sam" I would want more integration, such as
switching between different windows and visual display of the dot.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen_AT_gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org