Re: [dev] [st] double-width usage

From: Petr Šabata <contyk_AT_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:00:47 +0200

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:07:14AM +0200, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Hello comrades,

Hi Christoph,

> Here’s some RFC for people using double‐width characters in terminals in
> their daily life.
>
> Which applications do you use that handle double-width as you expect them?
>
> Do these applications use the double-width for the layout?
>
> Any Chinese or Japanese user?

I use them all the time -- in irssi, vim, ncmpc, ... even mc
(in filenames). I have no issues anywhere with xterm.

Not sure what 'use double-width for the layout' means but
mc has to deal with them somehow because the panels' layout
doesn't break...

> If double-width characters would be drawn to fit the standard cell size of the
> terminal (drawing them in half the font size) would this suffice your need?
>
> This question implies that it is possible to simply increase the
> average fontsize so the complex glyphs look good. Would this suffice
> your need?

Then the standard western character would be really huge...

I currently use an 18px bitmap font (misc-fixed), wide characters
taking two cells, and it's so-so -- they're readable and the
size of western letters is still acceptable for my taste.
I've mentioned this in a dead thread in the past [1].

I saw wide characters using just one standard cell in urxvt
long time ago and it looked terrible.

> Naming the applications would be important so I can test st to their
> compatibility.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph Lohmann

Again, thanks for working on this.