Re: [dev] [st] double-width usage

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:31:04 +0000 (UTC)

Christoph Lohmann dixit:

>Which applications do you use that handle double-width as you expect them?

mksh and jupp (though I don’t use st).

> Do these applications use the double-width for the layout?

It’s possible to use Unicode characters, halfwidth or fullwidth,
to draw nice boxen in either.

>If double-width characters would be drawn to fit the standard cell size of the
>terminal (drawing them in half the font size) would this suffice your need?

Absolutely not. You need to distinguish by wcwidth() on the first
character whether a given glyph (including the combining characters
following it) fits into a halfwidth character cell or into a fullwidth
character cell, which is exactly the width of two adjacent halfwidth
character cells.

Treating fullwidth as halfwidth, or the other way around, will not work.

>Naming the applications would be important so I can test st to their
>compatibility.

Hrm, a shell and a text editor aren’t that good examples then…
and I don’t have any good mixed example textfiles at hand. Sorry.

But just this might be a PoC:

┌──┤ U+00A9 ├──────┐
│ │
│  ䷀䷀䷀䷀䷀   │
│ ䷀     ䷀  │
│ ䷀  ䷀䷀ ䷀  │
│ ䷀ ䷀   ䷀  │
│ ䷀ ䷀   ䷀  │
│ ䷀  ䷀䷀ ䷀  │
│ ䷀     ䷀  │
│  ䷀䷀䷀䷀䷀   │
└──────────────────┘

I’m writing textfiles like that pretty often, and I use
the creative heaven and fullwidth space in my own font
editing tools (mksh script to convert between that and
BDF, while doing the actual editing in a text editor
and/or with ed and shell scripts).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of