Re: [dev] [dwm] usage, was "dwm 6.0 - separate taglists for muli-monitor setup"

From: Paul Hoffman <nkuitse_AT_nkuitse.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:18:50 -0400

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 08:34:14PM +0200, Markus Teich wrote:
> >>It has been argued before that the use of named tags is somewhat a
> >>misunderstanding of dwm.
> >
> >Yeah, it's was a misnomer. Personally, I was thinking about workspaces, but
> >I always called it tags.
>
> My tag usage is inspired by this blogpost [0].
> I have tags for:
> * generic terminal usage
> * web surfing
> * communication
> * media
> * development
> * office
> * three other generic tags
> However i use this tagnames rather as a guideline than as a strict
> rule. Sometimes when i have filled up my dev-tag with a few
> terminals, i open another terminal in the web tag (since it mostly
> only holds my web browser) to write some code with the docu in the
> browser on the side. This way i don't have the screen filled with
> unused terminals.
>
> Is there an even more efficient way of using dwm? How do _you_ use it?

I don't know why anyone would care, really, but since you ask...

I started with a similar arrangement, but after a while I got tired of
tweaking things and just defined 30 different tags (" ", "a" through
"z", "1" through "3"). " " is for my main terminal window (running
tmux) and "1" through "3" are places I stick windows to keep them out of
the way; the others are topical ("c" for calendar stuff, "m" for mail)
or host-specific ("f" for frodo, "s" for smaug, etc.).

It's not perfect but I like having a bunch of tags, and getting back to
my main terminal window is quick and easy (Mod4-Space). Also, I
normally hide the status bar but occasionally I want to see it, and then
the short tag names keep it from being too wide.

I've also patched dwm so that a window named "+CHAR" (e.g., "+g") is
assigned tag CHAR, which lets me do things like this:

$ urxvtc -name +f ...(something that "f" is a good mnemonic for)... &

(Yeah, I like st but I'm not ready to switch yet.)

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <nkuitse_AT_nkuitse.com>