Re: [dev] Re: New pager

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 12:45:53 +0100

Thanks for taking a look Christian.

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:38:22PM +0200, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> > I was fed up reading in mupdf (too paginated and annoying to get
> > text into), a terminal (too monospaced), or surf (too massive), so
> > thought I should make something better. So I spent an afternoon
> > making a pager that you pipe text into, with tcl/tk, and I think
> > it's quite good (with tk 8.5 - everything is ugly with 8.5). It's
> > attached.
>
> Looks pretty good already.
>
> Some ideas:
> - a tail -f like mode

That's a nice idea. I'll see how simple it is to implement.

> - quick selection of a few fonts (or toggle monospace<->variable width)

I figure if you want monospace fonts you're probably better off with
less in the terminal. This is focused on reading essays and the
like.

> - a small scrollbar to indicate position

The window title indicates position (percent through the text),
which I prefer to a scrollbar, and it's less code.

> - make text width adjustable at runtime

It will shrink according to the window size, it will just never
increase above the max width (which is roughly 60 characters). Which
I like for text.

Thanks again.

Oh, and if anyone here is unfamiliar with tcl/tk, take a look at
this and you'll get a glimpse of how great it is :)

Nick