Re: [dev] git ramblings, was: suckless dotfiles approach

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:42:38 +0200

Am 09.06.2013 13:29, schrieb Ɓukasz Gruner:
> Well, I see git as a 'version control assembler' - as in "you should not
> be using this directly 99% of the time".
> There are many great porcelains on top of git (I like ezgit, and
> currently am using legit), but they are not yet ready to just get stuff
> done quickly imho.

Git is not intended to be simple. Git is a collection of simple tools
that let you do your scm stuff.

Ezgit (apart from beeing implemented in ruby) is a monolithic wrapper
around all the small git tools, that want's to take controll over your
workflow. It strips the git system of some functionality to create the
illusion of simplicity (and all it seems to do is emulate the interface
of other scm systems). If you would rather use git directly, you could
have the same functionality (and more when you are ready to learn
something new) with a slightly different interface / concept.
Similar arguments apply to legit.

Just my 2 cents.

--Markus