Re: [dev] mail clients

From: Alex Pilon <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:18:43 -0400

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:35:33PM +0300, Edgaras wrote:
> Well mutt is niceish, but not suckless. (well at something like 20MB
> of ram

In what state? Stripped, idle and no configuration (~5mb
shared+resident)? With a connection (let's add TLS on top too for more
overhead) opened to some remote server, messages already processed and
cached in memory (assuming mutt keeps them there after reading from the
on-disk cache), etc.?

> seem a bit mutch for mail client,

Yeah. Consumes more memory than a 32-bit diskless workstation with a
custom kernel and busybox in an initramfs (so everything in RAM).
Admitedly not necessarily a fair comparison. But then again…

> Also setup with imap over ssl is a bit complicated.

How? Mutt has sane defaults for IMAPS or IMAP+STARTTLS, as regards
SSL/TLS itself. One needs not set any options in wherever and whatever
your configuration file is.

Or are you referring to the mutt internals or SSL in general?

> As a nice plus for mailx, it is very simple to make it work with imap
> over ssl, like i.e. gamail, can be done with couple of minutes of man
> page reading.

So can mutt. The following has all you need for a typical configuration.

        http://dev.mutt.org/trac/wiki/MuttGuide/UseIMAP

Read muttrc(5) for the remainder. I shan't expand further since this is
not a mutt list.

Any body know of a suckless method of using IMAP mostly
offline/disconnected? Offlineimap sucks and is brittle.

        http://blog.ezyang.com/2012/08/offlineimap-sucks/

An IMAPfs seems like a good idea, as long as it's not an mbox (or a
variant thereof) view. Could then just use rsync or inotify. No
reinventing the wheel with another IMAP client, no need for custom
search tools — just use grep, yadda yadda yadda. Preaching to the choir
anyway.