Re: [dev] [st] Implementing non-latin support...

From: <random832_AT_fastmail.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:01:39 -0400

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013, at 0:35, Eon S. Jeon wrote:
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> Would you explain how you tested? I've done only few tests: echo & vim.
> The cursor handling should be incomplete, because I used a very hacky
> method to workaround the innate ASCII-ism structure.

For cursor behavior, generally what other terminals do is allow the
cursor to "actually" be in either of the two cells (and movement
commands can place it in either one), but they _draw_ it over the whole
character (moving the cursor from one half of a wide character to the
other therefore has no visual change). When e.g. horizontal movement in
something like a text editor goes one whole wide character at a time,
it's generally because the application is enforcing this by moving it
two columns explicitly.

What you should do is run the command "stty cbreak -echo; cat", then do
some typing (and pasting of wide characters), moving around the cursor
with arrows (which send single cursor movement escape sequences), and
type in other escape sequences for anything you're curious about. I've
attached a file I used as a test suite to discover the behavior of other
terminals. Note that you should do this outside of tmux if you use it;
tmux itself has some bugs in this area that can make it hard to
understand what's going on.

Overwrite Tests:
EEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEE