Re: [dev] client-server model

From: Andrew Hills <ahills_AT_ednos.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:18:08 -0400

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:05:41 +0200 Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
wrote:
> I can see, that Xorg is a very complex implementation of the X11
> protocol, and that that protocoll is not very good, seeing as how it
> was extended several times, the extensions oftentimes being
> incompatible with each other (e.g. Xinerama + Xdbe) or even
> superseding another one (Xrandr + Xinerama).

Both the mess of extensions and the willingness of Xorg to crash and
hang the whole system when a user application does something wrong are
reasons not to like it. But, it is a poor implementation of an
acceptable principle, I think, and probably it is inevitable that a
system designed so long ago would have so much tacked onto it at the
end. The same thing happens to every part of every operating system
until someone decides to break backwards compatibility.