Re: [dev] lisp

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:33:23 -0400

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Alexander Sedov <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/6/29 oneofthem <oneofthem_AT_lavabit.com>:
> > is there any reason why lisp isn't mentioned much in the suckless
> > community?
> > considered irrelevant, harmful or what?
> I personally consider it irrelevant. People just don't actually write
> in Lisp, because it's either painful or results in slowness.

SBCL and Racket are certainly faster than Python, PHP, Ruby, Perl in most
cases. SBCL, since it is more or less an interactive native code compiler
is faster yet. You'll have to qualify painful. Are you referring to syntax?
If so, no Lisper even sees parentheses.

Lisp is a
> great language for teaching abstract CS concepts and language designs,
> but that's it.

Yes, the Racket (previously PLT Scheme) has certainly made it even more
viable, but they've also made a practical, quality implementation for real
work. Many other Lisps are similar, certainly many of the Common Lisps.

> And no libraries.

I urge you to check out Quicklisp (for Common Lisp,
http://www.quicklisp.org/) and reevaluate your statement. While the
Quicklisp + other Common Lisp library repos aren't as exhaustive as CPAN,
they usually contain very high quality code (unlike CPAN, or PyPi, or
whatever the fuck PHP and Ruby use). The fact that "nobody uses Lisp" is a
huge advantage since the people who do are actually smart and very
productive.

--
http://apgwoz.com