Re: [dev] [sbase] sponge v2

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:54:01 -0400

On 2 July 2013 15:50, Galos, David <galosd83_AT_students.rowan.edu> wrote:
>> I'm failing to see the problem with loading everything into memory.
>
> If the next step is "write that to a temp file" there is a big
> problem. There's nothing wrong with the present tempfile approach.

Yes there is. It wastes read/writes on my hard drive, is slower than
in-memory reading, adds overhead of file operations, and also depends
on having a non-read only filesystem to write too.

> It's reasonably fast
I want faster.

>it's completely portable (so no crazy getrlimit or /proc reading). Strace shows that that's how 'sed -i' works.

How would in memory storage incur any /proc reading?

> If on any system other than linux, I would consider loading into ram,
> but because of memory overcommit, malloc never fails, the whole system
> crawls to a halt, and the oom killer takes 20 minutes to put
> everything back together. No thanks.

Okay so you are discussing a problem with your version of unix and
malloc, not with the tool sponge.

Calvin