Re: [dev] [sbase] Patch to make md5 and sha1 more similar

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:18:15 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Krennmair dixit:

> from a few years ago that explains in detail how clever compilers really are
> with their optimizations: http://www.fefe.de/source-code-optimization.pdf

“Learn what the compiler does” – did anyone do that for pcc recently?
I’m sure it does _not_ do all those uber-optimisations, and I believe
that “it made sense last century but not now” is wrong for easy, low‐
hanging fruits like shifts and bitmasks (but that prematurely writing
complex stuff that makes code illegible is still undesirable).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
In traditional syntax ' is ignored, but in c99 everything between two ' is
handled as character constant.  Therefore you cannot use ' in a preproces-