Re: [dev] daemon for DWM

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:36:05 +0200

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 05:26:23PM +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> On 29 July 2013 01:02, Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Comments and criticism is welcome.
>
> The net monitor is something I'm looking for, though I'm not sure how
> I would integrate it with my current shell script:
> https://github.com/kaihendry/Kai-s--HOME/blob/master/.xinitrc#L43
> https://github.com/kaihendry/Kai-s--HOME/blob/master/bin/dwm_status
>
> Prefer the versatility of shell. :} Though that earlier shell example
> is incomplete and I guess it would have to be daemonised to keep the
> old values.

Both are functionally equivalent of course. IMHO a dedicated but simple
C program is a more efficient and cleaner solution, however.

> Maybe I'll adjust the C program to write the netstats to a file for a
> shell script like mine to read it? Is that sane?

That seems rather insane to me, I have to admit :-)

> And run your C program from systemd? (*duck*)

Well, I am running systemd as well so that does not strike me as being
especially duck-worthy. Other people on this list have a different
opinion on this, I bet...