[dev] [dwm] Weird behavior of Java programs

From: <boblatest_AT_posteo.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 20:32:24 +0200

Hi all,

I'm running a Debian testing system. Since I recently updated my
system (but not dwm), I noticed funny behavior of a Java program (I use
only one, gpsprune): The program starts up in a small window in the
upper left of the screen (in non-dwm WMs, this is the default starting
size). Actually the window fille the whole screen, but most of it is
just a big grey area with the exception of the upper left corner.
Resizing the window using ALT+right mouse button doesn't get noticed by
the program.

Even more annoyingly, when using drop-down menus (but only then), the
application "sees" the mouse pointer at the wrong location if the
application window has been moved using ALT+left mouse. Specifically,
after normally activating the drop-down menu, one must move the mouse
to the location of the screen where the menu item would have been had
the application not been relocated.

In other window managers this doesn't happen. This seems to be a
specific Java/dwm interaction bug.

dwm-5.7.2 (customized) and dwm-6.0 (out of the box) both show the same
behavior.

Best regards,

robert