[dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Szymon Olewniczak <szymon.olewniczak_AT_rid.pl>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:44:55 +0200

Hi,
everyone knows that XML has its defects but considering some of our
discussions about suckless web ideas I think that XML + XSLT is quite a
good solution - much better than plain HTML. Pages writen in XML has
readable source and data can be accessed much more easily. In addition
using of XML causes that we have API for each web page which is using
it.

Other disadvantage of XML - the large size of files (in compression with
JSON) also isn't a big problem becouse when we use some compression
algorithms (gzip for example), xml will compress much better and it's
size will be similar to its JSON equivalent.

Another advantage of XML is its adaptation. We've already have MathML,
SVG and many many others[1] all build on top of XML.

Persons who would like to use web browser to read
the page can still do it (using XLST) and the person who would like to
get some information from the page can also do it in easy way.

At the and I want to ask you a question. What do you think would be the
best solution for bulding websites which would look similar to this what
we have now(gopher is great but ...) and would have easily accessible
data for persons who want to use it in thay own applications?

BR,
Szymon

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_markup_languages