Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Evan Buswell <ebuswell_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 14:44:04 -0700

I loathe XML, but I think the OPs bigger point was: hey look, here is
a way that we can try and create a space between the suck of the web
and our code. So we support browsers through XSLT, and do something
slightly more sane with XML. I think that's a pretty valid suggestion.

IMO, this doesn't go far enough as XML is really not good for
anything. JSON is better for data (or a variant "KSON" I've been
playing with that adds symbolic references and uses binary instead of
utf-8 strings); RST is better for structured text---though I'm not
sure I really like any of the structured text formats.

But OTOH, I do like the idea of separating the translation-to-html bit
from the generate-sensible-output bit. XSLT may have done this poorly,
but it's on the right track (and what else works better for this, Awk?
Perl? m4?). I mean, I take the point that we can't really make the web
stack all that much better, but at least we can containerize suck?
Yes?