Re: [dev] TDD

From: Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 02:21:12 +0800

On 2013-10-22 20:06, Szymon Olewniczak wrote:
> what is your opinion about TDD? Is it suckles or not? Do you have any
> experience with this kind of development? Do TDD in C make any sense?

In my experience, it does not work. It inhibits me from being able to
creatively design a program and solve problems in a flexible way. It makes you
incredibly bound to your test suite. Maybe it works if you are just code
monkeying and don't give a shit about quality, I don't know.

I have never seen it work in practise, only in slideshows (usually from Ruby
programmers, for some reason) that espouse how wonderful it is and then give
samples that don't match real life coding problems at all.

My methodology: write some code, work out basic tests, write some more code,
write some more tests. Most TDDers would say that you should start writing
tests before you even start writing code, which in my opinion is just
hype-driven madness.

This article has some good points:
http://compphi.com/2012/05/06/mother-nature-doesnt-use-tdd-and-shes-done-pretty-damn-well/