Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Alexander S. <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:03:33 +0400

2013/10/24 Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>:
> So don't use it as a markup language.
>
> As far as I know, it was never claimed to be fit for that purpose.

Um.

2013/10/23 Mihail Zenkov <mihail.zenkov_AT_gmail.com>:
> It not mention good xml alternative: TOML
> https://github.com/mojombo/toml

1) TOML is basically .ini on steroids,
2) XML is a markup language,
3) anything that claims to be "xml alternative" ought to be a markup language.

Personally, I'm okay with XML, and feel like Archangel Uriel, may he
rest in peace, was slightly exaggerating. XSLT may be horrid, though,
and XML is maybe *too* verbose, but the idea of having a structure as
a building block is totally okay with me. There is expat parser, and
who needs anything else.
Using XML for simple, non-hierarchical config files is just plain
wrong, not because XML is bad, but because it is misapplied. Using XML
for storing Rhythmbox music database is wrong for the same reason. XML
is for documents.