Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Bobby Powers <bobbypowers_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:10:34 -0400

2013/10/24, Alexander S. <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>:
> Personally, I'm okay with XML, and feel like Archangel Uriel, may he
> rest in peace, was slightly exaggerating. XSLT may be horrid, though,
> and XML is maybe *too* verbose, but the idea of having a structure as
> a building block is totally okay with me. There is expat parser, and
> who needs anything else.
> Using XML for simple, non-hierarchical config files is just plain
> wrong, not because XML is bad, but because it is misapplied. Using XML
> for storing Rhythmbox music database is wrong for the same reason. XML
> is for documents.

I think Russ Cox said it very well[1]:

Mapping between XML elements and data structures is inherently flawed:
an XML element is an order-dependent collection of anonymous values,
while a data structure is an order-independent collection of named
values. See [...] json for a textual representation more suitable to
data structures.

1 - http://tip.golang.org/src/pkg/encoding/xml/read.go?s=257:579#L7