Re: [dev] suckless shell prompt?

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:58:16 +0100

Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:29 AM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
>> I honestly had to smile when I read the code :).
>> However, I don't consider this good coding-style and there are quite a
>> few areas which could be improved.
>> So Markus, if you want a serious response from us, you maybe should
>> start writing more "serious code" ;).

So, do you have any hints for me? Sure, i can rename „NYAN“ to „COLOR“, but this
„joke“ put aside the remaining code still is a serious try.

> There's so much *constructive* criticism on this list! Can't someone share an
> idea without getting pissed on?
>
> I get that the suckless community is a bunch of elitist blowhards, but
> seriously, come out of your basements, get some sun and love each other once
> in a while.
>
> P.S. - Yes, the code is horrible, but code can be fixed if the idea is good

I agree. Often i read things like „This is cruel“ or „bad style“, but I can
remember just a few times reading actual improvement propositions. If you think
it is bad, please tell me why, or what should be done differently in your
oppinion. Just complaining is rude. Well, I can ignore the rude stuff, but we
all waste time with this rudeness and nobody learns anything.

Is there any GCD of coding style, that we all can agree on? Is there a
styleguide you personally use can recommend? It is quite hard to get better at
coding without some real feedback. And if you don't have time to teach padawans,
then you should also consider saving yourself some time by not responding at
all.

--Markus