Re: [dev] [st] System freeze when killing X after using st-git (commit spotted)

From: Gregor Best <gbe_AT_ring0.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:49:24 +0100

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:32:36PM +0100, Andreas Marschall wrote:
> good evening,
>
> I have spottet the commit that's causing the freeze when killing X and
> trying to go back to tty. It's:
>
> http://git.suckless.org/st/commit/?id=fbc589d50603e8b0de9239e4800e227ab5d0ea69
>
> up until this commit st works fine for me.

Does it continue to work if you go to git HEAD and revert that one
commit? Because frankly I'd be really surprised if it did. All that
commit does is shuffle around tty allocation a bit.

I don't think the bug is in st. No X application should be able to
freeze the X server and with it the machine. That's a bug in the server
and/or the kernel you're using. One culprit could be the binary driver
for your graphics hardware, but I'm not sure on that.

I'd try running st with another driver for your graphics card and/or an
older kernel version, and check if you recently upgraded your X server.
If so, a downgrade could solve that problem, but reporting a bug with
the proper authorities (i.e. either the kernel maintainers or the X.org
guys) is a good idea nonetheless.

--
	Gregor Best