Re: [dev] [st] System freeze when killing X after using st-git (fixed)

From: Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 22:24:29 +0100

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:00:55PM +0100, Andreas Marschall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just cloned the latest git version and removed the commit manually
> from st.c and put the few deleted lines back in.

Why? Reverting a commit is very easy with git. In your case it's the
simple matter of doing:

        $ git revert fbc589d50603e8b0de9239e4800e227ab5d0ea69

> Now st works just fine again. That's all I can say and I think that
> was pretty bad-ass of me given the fact that I can only do "hello
> world" in C :-)
>
> I'd say it's up to the developers if they want to leave this commit in or
> take it out like I did. I'm just glad I can use the latest version of st
> again.

Well, it's not obvious why this commit breaks your X server so badly.
Just reverting that commit in the repository is not a proper solution to
the problem. Some investigation has to happen.
It's absolutely correct that it should not be possible to write an X
application that can crash the X server, let alone the kernel.
What graphics driver are you using?
Since nobody else reported that bug, it really seems like the problem
lies in the nature of your particular system.

Kind regards,
-Alex