Re: [dev] [st] Colors slightly different hue than in xterm

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 05:42:58 -0600

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:54:54AM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> > Brilliant! I feel silly for not noticing it only affected the bold
> > colors. The fix was simple, and I've attached a patch in the event other
> > people prefer the xterm behavior.
>
> No, fix xterm to brighten all colors. I won’t reduce the features of st
> because of compatibility to a sloc beast.

I'm not asking you to apply the patch to tip, I'm simply posting the
patch for other people that may also like their existing color scheme to
remain unchanged. That said, I don't really think the current method of
"increase the color number" actually guarantees the replacement color
will actually be brighter outside the grayscale range, and on my
monitor, the change in color by brightening them is too drastic for me
to consider many of the replacements the same color as the unadulterated
values; in the screenshot I posted, what was once green became yellow,
and what was once blue purple. Although colors are a very subjective
thing, perhaps a more sophisticated method could be used to brighten
colors that makes this less of an issue.

Eric