Re: [dev] [st] Colors slightly different hue than in xterm

From: Alexander S. <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:17:17 +0300

2013/12/2 Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:54:54AM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
>> No, fix xterm to brighten all colors. I won’t reduce the features of st
>> because of compatibility to a sloc beast.
>
> I'm not asking you to apply the patch to tip, I'm simply posting the
> patch for other people that may also like their existing color scheme to
> remain unchanged. That said, I don't really think the current method of
> "increase the color number" actually guarantees the replacement color
> will actually be brighter outside the grayscale range, and on my
> monitor, the change in color by brightening them is too drastic for me
> to consider many of the replacements the same color as the unadulterated
> values; in the screenshot I posted, what was once green became yellow,
> and what was once blue purple. Although colors are a very subjective
> thing, perhaps a more sophisticated method could be used to brighten
> colors that makes this less of an issue.
>
> Eric
Hello,
it seems that st uses one of color-cube colors to introduce bold
brightening. Clearly, for a color in xterm color cube, there is almost
never a color with the same hue, but another lightness. Probably
modifying color components, like with ATTR_INVERSE, would be better?

--
Best regards,
Alexander.