Re: [dev] wswsh: a mksh web framework

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:17:02 +0000 (UTC)

Chris Down dixit:

>If masking files with directories is considered "clean", then I don't
>want to live on this planet any more.

>Just don't do it.

Agreed. I don’t put *.htm files into subdirectories at all;
the other MirWebseite setup does it as it’s got some more
hierarchically structured content besides the main page.

Actually, using “directories” is bad since it relies on
the index.* files being called correctly, *and* because
people are too stupid to append the extra slash at the
end, leading to extra redirects (or error pages).

Paul Onyschuk dixit:

>concatenation and line breaking is too terse: two spaces at the end of
>line - I don't consider that a good choice.

Anything using whitespace as significant sucks.

Anything using whitespace at end of line/file as significant
is even worse, an abomination, and ought to be shot before
birth, period. (And I so regularily remove whitespace at EOL
left there by some vim user from my files that I made me an
editor macro to do that.)

>It is very easy to hit corner cases with Markdown. Example: code block

That’s also one. This thing “looks easy” at first glance
but is frustrating to someone used to something much better.

>Few words on roff. I you stick to man, mdoc and ms macros and avoid

ACK on mdoc, *definite* NAK on man, and no opinion on ms (since
I do most “paper-ish” stuff in mdoc).

>low-level roff stuff, it is quite nice format. On the first look it is

Though I do low-level *roff stuff too. I had to learn it because
I had to fix the mdoc macro _implementation_ itself… not too hard,
the classical documentation https://www.mirbsd.org/manUSD/21.troff
and https://www.mirbsd.org/manUSD/22.trofftut are nice intros.

>quite alien, but it originated on Unix and that shows off. Sed,
>awk, grep and other standard tools work great with sane roff
>document: you can stick to the oneliners (I don't think that this can
>be said about any other document format).

Not always, there’s stuff that needs multilines in *roff, but
with structural regexes that will work.

Also, HTML output can be done (cf. the above links; those were
done by AT&T nroff (from 4.4BSD-Alpha, hacked up) → col → some
mksh script with lots of sed to convert them. Valid XHTML/1.1,
or it’s a bug. Much nicer than GNU groff. No way to natively
specify hyperlinks or other HTML features (due to this using
the preformatted manpages that are generated during the BSD
build anyway), and fixed-width output, but I chose to make it
a feature and CSSify this to look like amber TTY output.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
13:37⎜«Natureshadow» Deep inside, I hate mirabilos. I mean, he's a good
guy. But he's always right! In every fsckin' situation, he's right. Even