Re: [dev] st stutters and freezes, with 100% cpu usage, during window resize via mouse drag

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:26:34 +0100

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 06:13:58PM -0800, Parke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the Openbox window manager with xterm. I just tried replacing
> xterm with st.
>
> Compared to xterm, st will stutter/freeze when I resize a window by
> dragging a window edge with the mouse. I have Openbox set to refresh
> the window contents during the resize.

This will make OpenBox send a ConfigureNotify event whenever the mouse
moves more than one character.

> Xterm pretty much stays in sync with my resizing. In comparison, the
> stutter/lag with st is annoying. If I aggressively resize the window
> (say 10 seconds of continuous up/down resizing), xterm will stay in
> sync. st will stutter, then freeze. CPU usage will max out at 100%
> (mostly in the X server). Even after I stop resizing the window, st
> will still be frozen (sometimes for over 10 seconds) with CPU usage at
> 100%.
>
> I am running X with the VESA video driver on a 1.2ghz Celeron, on Ubuntu 13.04.
>
> I thought the performance delta between xterm and st might be of interest.

Here's a premature optimization (attached). Please let us know if that helped.

> st also uses slightly more memory than xterm.

Could that be because we use Xft? In that case xterm is hiding an
equivalent amount of memory by offloading it onto the X server.

> -Parke

HTH,
Markus