Re: [dev] [sbase] [patch] Completely ignore character and block devices in tar(1)

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:48:33 +0000

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 03:35:25PM +0000, sin wrote:
> I think this is probably the best course of action
> at this point.
> Support for character and block devices is optional in POSIX.
> We cannot guarantee that this will work correctly and it is not
> portable, so just drop support for it in tar(1).

I'm not sure I agree. We shouldn't be tethered to POSIX if it means
losing useful functionality for no practical reason. Are there any
systems out there that don't have support for character and block
devices? Haiku isn't a compelling argument to me. In any case, I
prefer the #ifdef solution. #ifdefs are dangerous, but I see nothing
wrong with how you used them here.

Nick