Re: [dev] [sbase] [patch] Completely ignore character and block devices in tar(1)

From: sin <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:39:13 +0000

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 03:48:33PM +0000, Nick wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 03:35:25PM +0000, sin wrote:
> > I think this is probably the best course of action
> > at this point.
> > Support for character and block devices is optional in POSIX.
> > We cannot guarantee that this will work correctly and it is not
> > portable, so just drop support for it in tar(1).
>
> I'm not sure I agree. We shouldn't be tethered to POSIX if it means
> losing useful functionality for no practical reason. Are there any
> systems out there that don't have support for character and block
> devices? Haiku isn't a compelling argument to me. In any case, I
> prefer the #ifdef solution. #ifdefs are dangerous, but I see nothing
> wrong with how you used them here.

BTW, I will be preparing a README for sbase and I'd like to briefly
mention on which OS'es it has been tested.

I've tried a bunch of different compilers (tcc, pcc, gcc, clang, nwcc) on
various combinations of OS'es and architectures (*BSD, Solaris, Linux, Haiku).
On Haiku, everything works except nice(1) and renice(1) - they don't have
getpriority()/setpriority() (that's their fault.)

If anyone has access to some special oldschool UNIX systems, I'd like
to see if sbase compiles and works on those.

cheers,
sin