Re: [dev] ncurses or ...

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:47:11 -0500

Didn't know you had a hate for line editors. Or me. At least line
editors don't waste people's time.

I say line editors are most suitable because they can be used with
anything that supports displaying 2 or even 1 line, and doesn't need
to be stuck to old terminal technology.

Additionally, as FRIGN wrote:

> Writing TUI's is a PITA, let alone a new TUI-library, because there are
> so many kinds of terminals around to support.

and Roberto:

> but why can not you write something for a concrete terminal?. Or even, why no
> write a custom, very simplified terminal (without all the compatibility
> complexity

who answers his own question (because of the compatibility
complexity), it is clear writing a new TUI library is not simple.
Maybe with Wayland we will see a single terminal come out on top. Or
maybe everyone should be told to stick with xterm, but then you'll get
people kicking and hollering about how big and slow it is, and they
end up pumping out another 100 incompatible terminals.

I'm with Roberto, a suckless terminal would be one that only supports
standard output and input. TUI is just a hack for a GUI in console
space.

Regards,

Lee

P.S. Thorsten you are a great guesser.