Re: [dev] ncurses or ...

From: <flo_AT_snakeoilproductions.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:20:24 +0100

On 2014-01-31 01:47, Lee Fallat wrote:
> I say line editors are most suitable because they can be used with
> anything that supports displaying 2 or even 1 line, and doesn't need
> to be stuck to old terminal technology.
[…]
> who answers his own question (because of the compatibility
> complexity), it is clear writing a new TUI library is not simple.
> Maybe with Wayland we will see a single terminal come out on top. Or
> maybe everyone should be told to stick with xterm, but then you'll get
> people kicking and hollering about how big and slow it is, and they
> end up pumping out another 100 incompatible terminals.

I fear monsters like ncurses are still needed today because of the
sorry state of modern networking, which today means SOAP and REST and
XMLRPC…
ssh is still one of the most sane alternatives available, but relies
on old fashioned terminal I/O, too. So until you get Plan 9-style
networking into the mainstream, everyone will continue to emulate
terminals in emulated terminals, because it’s the only sane
alternative.