[dev] Re: tabs

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:07:45 +0000 (UTC)

Michael Hauser dixit:

>the convenience would be that I don't need to memorize 2 separate ways
>of handling windows. As tabs are really just another way of presenting
>windows.

I’m using “nested” tabs a lot. For example, on the 12″ laptop I’m
typing this eMail right now, this is a pine session on a server,
on which I’m connected per ssh using a shell in a GNU screen
inside xterm. Occasionally, I even have a GNU screen running
remotely. (Didn’t switch to tmix yet as it doesn’t handle all
my usecases, and I have heavy local patches to GNU screen.)

The xterm is almost-fullscreen here, but some people have lots
of them, and I occasionally do.

This all runs on X11, with evilwm, which provides 8 virtual
workspaces, which I also use heavily (at least 2, usually 3,
often 4, sometimes more).

I’ve gone far enough to assign memorised positions to usecases
and/or applications, e.g. IRC is on GNU screen tab #0 on xterm
on virtual desktop 1, mail is tab#1, music and “leisure reading”
lynx session are in screen tabs on virtual desktop 2, etc.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
22:59⎜<Vutral> glaub ich termkit is kompliziert | glabe nicht das man
damit schneller arbeitet | reizüberflutung │ wie windows │ alles evil