Re: [dev] tabbed - why?

From: Edgaras <devoas_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:53:57 +0200

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 02:26:47PM -0500, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> I think the case is this:
>
> dwm has extremely limited stacking which is less efficient (in terms
> of user interaction not computer performance) then i3's tree based
> model, which allows substacking quite easily.
>
> If you use a tree based model, adding a tabbed mechanism is trivial,
> doesn't require any additional xembed work that tabbed does, and is
> just another function of managing windows. I'm not sure that adding a
> whole 'nother program in between dwm and st is suckless.
>
> If tabbing is just a form of window management, why don't we seperate
> all tiling modes into separate programs.
>
> I do think that managing windows is part of the window manager, as
> multiple st instances are each a window, it seems best to tab them
> with the window manager.

I think one of your premises is wrong. The existence of dwm does not force one
to use it nor should it impact existence of other applications too much. Even
though it is unlikely that many people here do not use dwm I bet that there
still are some who don't. And maybe tabbed is nice for them. Maybe someone
find tabbed nice even in dwm. Basically it is a matter of preference in my
eyes. I for example do not use it, I also see both tmux and screen as useless
software as dvtm + dtach is closer to unix filosophy and is way more flexible.
i.e. I do not run dvtm in dtach, I run multiple dtach sessions in dvtm and then
if there is a need I can see individual windows in st on same machine or on
other or whatever. I find that to be much better than single session for all
windows. At work I live without any tabs I have configured my browsers to open
windows instead of tabs and dwm stack acts something like "tab bar" and it all
works perfectly well for me. But these all are preferences. Though I agree that
having ability to do something resembling tabs in dwm could be nice as there
are X clients manage to crash if their sice is set too small. Another good
thing about that would be to allow moving windows between tags and other wm
stuff. Though maybe tabbed provides ability to detach/capture windows, I don't
know as I don't use it. Still having it in windowmanager would allow for nicer
bindings.