Re: [dev] tabbed - why?

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:26:47 -0500

I think the case is this:

dwm has extremely limited stacking which is less efficient (in terms
of user interaction not computer performance) then i3's tree based
model, which allows substacking quite easily.

If you use a tree based model, adding a tabbed mechanism is trivial,
doesn't require any additional xembed work that tabbed does, and is
just another function of managing windows. I'm not sure that adding a
whole 'nother program in between dwm and st is suckless.

If tabbing is just a form of window management, why don't we seperate
all tiling modes into separate programs.

I do think that managing windows is part of the window manager, as
multiple st instances are each a window, it seems best to tab them
with the window manager.