Re: [dev] [proposal] Suckless Tox-Client as a Skype replacement

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 18:55:25 -0400

Hi FRIGN,

Just a quick reply for now.

> 4) *VoIP* on the terminal. I know of no CLI-IM-client implementing
> VoIP-facilities when the protocol offers it.

linphone provides a cli client. I used it for a little while. It's
kind of annoying, but probably less so than the GTK version.

The Tox website doesn't appear to be loading for me at the moment.
Are they working on ZRTP & OTR features? Because I'm completely
uninterested in chat projects that aren't.

Indeed I'm using Jitsi at the moment, despite the fact that it's in
Java and has an interface that you'd expect for that. But it works,
and is quite secure over the wire, and that counts for a great deal.

Can you explain why Tox-core is different to say Pidgin or Linphone,
both of which IIRC have some sort of interfaces for building
alternative clients?

Nick