Re: [dev][project] soap - a simple xdg-open replacement

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 21:58:40 +0200

FRIGN said:
> mailcap files come pretty close, but only offer detection by mime (you
> couldn't for instance parse youtube-links if you wanted or
> differentiate between a file:// and http://-URL).

You can. Use "text/html" mime type and a script to parse URLs. (You'll
need to parse URLs anyway, if you want to do anything useful with them.)

> Additionally, with mailcap you can only provide one command, whereas
> soap offers you to give a whole set of commands, including piping and
> other stuff. You could do that with mailcap, too, by writing a
> shell-script for each handler.

Arbitrary shell commands work in mailcap.

> Now, most importantly, what you have to consider is that mailcap isn't
> called by X-programs, which soap is directed at (-> replacing xdg-open).

I must have worded it clearer: I suggested using mailcap as
configuration format for soap. Or at least extend it to support
whatever you want to support.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff