Re: [dev][project] soap - a simple xdg-open replacement

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 00:02:42 +0200

FRIGN said:
> > You can. Use "text/html" mime type and a script to parse URLs. (You'll
> > need to parse URLs anyway, if you want to do anything useful with them.)
>
> Well, Youtube-links don't end with .html. That's the problem with
> MIME-detectors.

I did not investigate issue in detail, but apparently xdg-open treats
all http links as "text/html". "xdg-open http:" starts Firefox.

> File-based configuration sounds interesting, but I personally see no
> need to make it more complex than compiling it in directly. This
> concept is already working great for dwm and other pieces of suckless
> software.

I edit my ~/.mailcap much more frequently then I build all suckless
tools combined. That happens mostly because I stumble across file
formats that I didn't need to deal with before, or simply didn't need to
define. I expect that if I would be using soap, it would end up being
the most frequently compiled software on my system. This is an easy
shot, given that your design suggests hardcoding URLs, which, given the
nature of modern web, would lead to very frequent changes.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff