[dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] req 1.0 - a gawk und dmenu powered plumberlike

From: Robert Figura <nc-figuraro_AT_netcologne.de>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 17:03:51 +0200

On Fri, 9 May 2014 16:31:28 +0200
"Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
> > Btw, what did you mean by blow process? Arnold is one of the most
> > conservative maintainers i've seen in the gnu.
>
> /usr/src/gawk-4.1.1+dfsg
> 61385 total

> /usr/src/awk
> 6442 total

I couldn't reproduce your exact numbers. But sure, gawk itself isn't
suckless. And?

> You have to think this is suckless community, where we think the
> most important point is the simplicity, and some projects are incredible
> small, dwm has a limit of 2000 lines, st is only 3800 lines or surf is only
> 1500. We are reimplementating all the UNIX basic tools in sbase to avoid
> these bloated versions.

I'm here because i believe a plumber variant to be of interest to some
people around suckless. I'm not here to write a new awk. I also don't
expect to make it to sbase.

> From our point of view an implementation of awk with 60000 lines is a
> really horrible implementation, and it is one of the next candidates for
> sbase.

Yesyesyes, i've been reading here for a while. So what. If you go on
and marry plumber and plan9's awk for me i might chime in and help you.

Have fun,
  - Robert Figura