Re: [dev] Alternative to OfflineImap

From: Mark Hills <mark_AT_xwax.org>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 14:38:14 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 10 May 2014, patrick295767 patrick295767 wrote:

> Over the years I was commonly using Mutt (probably as you too...).
>
> Offlineimap is a reliable (well, more or less) to fetch email and get
> them to work offline.
>
> However... I would be really pleased to find another C programm (+ a
> config for imap/smtp) that would replace OfflineImap.

It took a while but I eventually found a satisfactory solution to two-way
mail sync (ie. offline mail reading and writing on my laptop) using
dovecot and it's dsync process.

I did not need to install a full dovecot IMAP server (although maybe I
will have to do that to support an Android phone)

Instead I installed dovecot on my own account on the server:

* procmail delivers to dovecot with maildir boxes

* use IMAP pre-authenticated over ssh by calling
  libexec/dovecot/imap

* sync to the laptop using dsync over ssh

I still use dovecot IMAP locally on the laptop to read the local maildir,
as its mailboxes are pre-indexed and much faser.

Pre-authenticated IMAP is really nice, I think people forget about it.

At some point I intend to document the whole setup as it took me some time
to converge on this; it is alpine + dovecot + mairix + exim + some tiny
scripts.

--
Mark