Re: [dev] C coded cross-platform youtube video viewer

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 17:01:29 +0200

On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:08:59 +0200
Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately, libquvi on gentoo expects a system
> installed lua (with additional modules).
> I don't want this high level script language as a system
> dependency. I would prefer lua being packaged internally into
> libquvi. Coze I would like to quit gentoo one day and have my own
> suckless-ish distro, then better do the work now. I don't want
> system wide installed
> perl/python/ruby/php/lua/guile/javascript... (holy m****
> f*****!), I would rather try to have applications package their
> high level script language and don't try to f*** it up our
> "system" throat. (and tell the script kiddies: "no, you FOO
> script language is not installed, and won't be. Then package your
> bloody f****** kludge with your app")

I bloody hate those damn scripting languages!
The overhead of compiling one piece of software every time it is
executed just doesn't make sense to me.
Using Gentoo myself and being a big fan of portage, it makes me sad to
see it's been written in Python and not a clean and secure language you
would expect to see for a package-management-program.
Even worse, there are like only 4-6 people maintaining portage for the
sole reason the code is full of cruft and bloat. This is the reason why
I'd welcome switching to a suckless operating system to finally get rid
of this crap! A build-system mustn't be bloody 40k LOC and definitely
not written in Python!

I agree it's very tempting to write stuff with scripting languages, as
writing things in C can get complicated and generally need more time.
But it's not like we don't have solutions for that. Look at Go for
example, which can definitely become a big player in this regard.

Liking how portage does it with use-, license-, masking-flags,
dependency-resolution and global-updates, I'm currently working on a
concept for a build-system very similar to what has already been done
in morpheus with the ports-makefiles.

Cheers

FRIGN

--