Re: [dev] Anyone interested in C "blogging platform"?

From: Bigby James <bigby.james_AT_crepcran.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:45:58 -0500

> On 05/23, Dimitris Zervas wrote:
>
> 1: I use git (for versioning and easy management). The posts are written in
> markup. Once you make a new commit, a program (or a script?) is triggered and
> scans the commit, finds the files altered and either interprets the markup
> files (smu [1] is used) and store them as html, so you don't have to do that
> on serve time, or deletes the old cached file. Also, it alters a
> navigation.html file (used in the second piece)
>
> The git integration and the navigation altering is not done yet.

Git hooks can be used to call just about anything, most existing static site
generators included, and running a post-commit hook to build and push a new post
isn't a bad idea. But if I'm reading this right, your plan is to not process any
of the marked-up content or templates until committing it all to a Git repo. This
would potentially means lots of vacuous commits just test out and debug a
site---just to ensure everything's actually working. Ideally, commits would be
the last thing to happen, and some means of processing a site for previewing
would be desirable. I suppose this would depend on how fancy you want things to
be, though; if you're just going for a minimal text-on-screen look, previews
aren't really important. There are various tips floating around the web for
loop-device web servers in bash that might work.[1][2]

> 2: Blog preprocessor (bpp [2]). It's a small cgi program that just finds
> keywords in the asked page and replaces them with file contents. This is used
> to be able to have a navigation bar and (much later) comment system.
>
> so, if you ask for myfile.html (the post that smu has cached), bpp will scan
> the file for the "==navigation" keyword and replace it with the contents of
> navigation.html :

mustache[3] is essentially this same idea. What about a pure C mustache
implementation? Or perhaps just using their execution of the idea for some
inspiration yourself.

[1]: http://www.debian-administration.org/article/371/A_web_server_in_a_shell_script
[2]: http://www.razvantudorica.com/08/web-server-in-one-line-of-bash/
[3]: http://mustache.gitub.io

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams