Re: [dev] [surf] WebKit1 deprecated

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 16:29:16 -0400

Quoth YpN:
> Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> > You can use http://surf.suckless.org/patches/smoothscrolling-via-GTK3
>
> Excuse me, maybe I missed something, but could you tell me why you
> posted that patch? I was mentioning the API itself, in my previous
> email.

If you read the patch you'll see it updates surf to use webkitgtk3.
Which I would guess uses Webkit 2. If that's the case it probably
makes sense to switch to it, if Webkit 1 is about to be deprecated.

Hopefully it'd fix some bugs I see, too, but I'm too lazy to check
at the moment.

Quoth YpN:
> Before you replace WebKit by something sane (TODO[2] mentions it)

Look at the archives, it's unlikely that's going to happen anytime
soon. surf's mission is having a vaguely usable interface for the
monstrous web, not really to suck less at an architectural level.
There is some interest in the option of having surf backed by the
netsurf libraries, which are *way* nicer, but not quite enough
interest for anybody to actually bother, yet.

Nick