Re: [dev] [surf] WebKit1 deprecated

From: Andy Spencer <andy753421_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 20:55:51 +0000

On 2014-05-28 20:29Z, Nick wrote:
> If you read the patch you'll see it updates surf to use webkitgtk3.
> Which I would guess uses Webkit 2. If that's the case it probably
> makes sense to switch to it, if Webkit 1 is about to be deprecated.

WebKit versions are weird, when you install webkit-gtk-2.4.x, there are
configure flags for --enable-webkit1 and --enable-webkit2 as well as
--with-gtk=2.0 and --with-gtk=3.0.

So the patch provides support for gtk3, but not for webkit2. The API
changed considerably between webkit1 and webkit2, so it's probably a
bigger change than going to gtk3.

For one, webkit2 wants do all the rendering in a separate process, like
google chrome, but they baked it into the library for some reason.