Re: [dev] [st] mouse up scrolling not working in vim through tmux in st

From: Balazs Kezes <rlblaster_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 22:47:49 +0100

On 2014-05-31 20:35 +0530, Jay Rajput wrote:
> Problem Statement: Mouse up scrolling not working in vim through tmux
> in st. Mouse down scrolling works fine.

Thou shall not report release events for mouse wheel events. I think
neither tmux, neither vim handles these gracefully. For some reason the
release events are interpreted as scroll down in vim-in-tmux. So
scolling down actually scrolls down twice and scrolling up is
interpreted as a scroll up followed by a scroll down.

> EarlyInvestigation using google: Google shows a similar problem though
> with putty
> http://superuser.com/questions/706881/mouse-scrolling-in-vim-through-tmux-how-to-configure.

Yes, and I see that there was a patch posted[1] for putty already. Tmux
is even considering fixing[2] support for the broken terminals.

I've also attached a sample way to fix this in st.

Sidenote: while looking at tmux under st I experienced a lot of other
rendering problems. I suspect this is because st's VT100 emulation is a
bit weak. In case this is something the suckless community would like to
fix, I recommend using xterm's vttest[3] to test the features.

[1] https://github.com/atsepkov/putty-X/commit/bbced
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/tickets/128/
[3] http://invisible-island.net/vttest/vttest.html

--